We are working hard to become Scotland’s exemplar green Plant Centre. To date we have:
- Banned the sale of all insecticides containing neonicotinoides
- Committed to stop selling all chemical pesticides by the end of 2013. From 2014 only organic and environmentally friendly products will be sold.
- Committed to only use peat free composts in our own production nursery.
- Committed to selling peat free composts to our customers having phased out all peat-based composts in 2011.
- Installed a biomass boiler, producing heat from woodchip produced on the Roxburghe Estates.
- Launched a pot-recycling scheme where customers returning pots from our "Castle Grown" range receive 50p off their next purchase as a reward for being green.
- Reducing our plastics usage by moving to starch based recyclable plastics for carrier bags.
- Shown our support to local plant producers and has a well developed plant procurement policy favouring local specialist growers to reduce pot miles.