Grounds & Gardens
The grounds and gardens at Floors Castle originate from the formal design laid out by William Adam in the first half of the 18th Century.
A less formal landscape evolved in the late 18th Century and subsequently during the life of the 6th Duke who was also responsible for the creation of a new walled garden between 1857-60 at its present site.
The formal lines of the 1st Duke's house were continued out into the estate grounds with blocks of plantations creating Baroque Avenues creating a sense of enclosure. Playfair's dramatic transformation of the castle in the late 18th Century created a focus for the gardens.
Today, the gardens combine the traditional kitchen garden supplying flowers and produce for the Castle with the Millennium Garden and the woodland garden. There is also a Plant Centre supplying many of the varieties displayed in the borders.