Described by gardening writer, Anna Pavord, as 'wondrous' with 'rampageous, outrageous crasg of colours' the Walled Garden is a rare example of a Victorian Kitchen Garden. Relocated to the West of the Castle in 1857, the Walled Gardens historically were used to grow fruit and vegetables for the Castle Kitchen and to provide flowers for the house. This tradition continues today with peaches grapes and plants grown in the original glass houses and soft fruit, vegetables and flowers in the fruit cage, vegetable garden and herbaceous border.
The four herbaceous borders (the Spring Border, the Summer Border, the Blue and Silver and the Hot Border) flower at different points throughout late Spring and the Summer months. They offer spectacular visions of colour, texture and the most delicious scents. The perfect place to spend a lazy afternoon with an ice cream!
Within the Walled Gardens, you will also find our wonderful Terrace Café and our very own Plant Centre where many of the special varieties of plants grown in the herbaceous borders can be purchased.