Floors Castle was designed by leading Edinburgh architect William Adam for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe in 1721. Built on the site of an existing building called the House of Floris, Floors was originally a plain but symmetrical Georgian country house.
The 6th Duke invited leading architect, William Playfair to remodel the Castle between 1837 and 1847. Floors was Playfair’s most important private commission and he was determined to create a fairytale castle. The result, the building seen today, was as dramatic and as romantic as anything he could have hoped for.
In the early part of the 20th Century the 8th Duke’s marriage to May Goelet, a beautiful young American heiress, brought to Floors her outstanding collection of fine art, furniture and porcelain. Several of the rooms were altered in the 1930’s including the Drawing Room and Ballroom which were refitted to display the set of Brussels tapestries and the Gobelins tapestries.
The current Duke and Duchess undertake the huge responsibility of maintaining and protecting the treasures to ensure that they can be enjoyed by future generations. In 2010 the installation of a biomass boiler providing a source of renewable heat energy marked the next page in the history of Floors Castle.